Sunday, April 4, 2010

Japan!!

3 weeks ago, I adventured to the land of Japan. Having the best husband EVER, and friends and family to help with the kids...I was able to visit my mom and dad. It was an amazing trip! One I will NEVER forget! Here's what I did...
Traveled for 25 hours...so worth the travel just to hug my parents!

This is where they live, bottom floor of the temple.

The rest of that first day I got a tour of the mission home and office, took a quick nap, unpacked the 50lbs of candy, RX, new lap top for mom, letters, pictures, and treats. Met the office missionary's, AP's, and many members coming to the temple for a session. Ate lunch at a yummy noodle shop. And just sat with my parents and talked...it was perfect!

Day 2...we were off to be tourists, something mom and dad have not yet done. The AP's, Elder Richardson & Elder Stevenson came with us (it was their P-day).

The Train


Wish I knew the name of this place...it was a tourist attraction. Had shops, restaurants, shrines for worship, museums, and an amusement park for kids. So fun...and so green, lush, and beautiful!


We happened to be there at the right time...a wedding party arrived.


These toilets are called 'squatters'...they have about 6 of these and if your lucky 1 or 2 regular toilets at all of the restrooms I visited. I didn't attempt it...sick!


This was a huge art museum


Riding the escalators to the museum


Mom and the Elders are imitating the Japanese when they pose for pictures. They typically don't smile, and always do the peace sign. So funny!


Stopped for lunch...this is my favorite picture! We laughed so hard the entire trip, and I love that it was captured with this picture!


I enjoyed the lunch...mom and dad didn't! However, they've had to eat rice and noodles for 9 months now, so I figure they have the right to 'not like' it!


These girls had on beautiful Kimono's, & of course...peace.


Day 3...we went to church. An interesting experience. R.S was in Japanese w/some English, S.S was an English class, and Sacrament we wore headphones and the AP's translated for us. A very new experience...however, the church is true anywhere you go!!

After church we had us some Dr.Peppers and nachos.


Day 4...This is 'the board' that dad had built in his office. I was in awe! So cool to see what goes on within a mission, and so amazing how the mission runs.


Dad's office.

Mom and I on our way to Costco, in her awesome car.

The city is so big, and so busy. Costco is about 9 miles away...took us about 35 minutes to get there.

Everything was the same...well, except for the fish...everywhere!

My only attempt at driving was to park.

Monday's are 'office meetings'.

I was invited to attend...I took some good notes.


Later that day the sister missionaries baked mom a birthday cake.


Went to 7-11 to pay some bills...so weird.


And get some cash from the ATM


And then grabbed some dinner at KFC...tastes the same.


Day 5...mom and I relaxed all morning, made us some lunch, turned on the TV, and watched the only English speaking channel they get...CNN.


Then we headed to the mall. Well, it was more like a giant JC Penney. But with a food court, dollar store, and mini market in the basement. It was awesome!


We shared the BEST strawberry shortcake crepe...obviously mom liked it.


Me too!


Then we picked up dad, and went to a Hikata doll store...beautiful dolls! We picked up a brochure, so we can order some.

Dad paying for parking, you never park for free.

These vending machines are on EVERY street corner. You would never go thirsty while walking the streets of Fukuoka.


'Hoto Moto'...these are everywhere too. Japanese fast food...I passed.


We ate dinner tonight at this resteraunt. This is where they take all the new arriving missionaries (they call them beans) the 2nd night they are here. Mom and dad figured I should have this experience.


It was really good!


Day 6 we went on a 'road trip'...packed up some treats, and drove to Kumomoto, about 1 1/2 hours away. It was a beautiful drive...so green, and rice fields everywhere. Japan is a beautiful country!


The castle moat...it was huge!!


The view from the top...beautiful.


The famous Cherry blosums...starting to bloom.


Living quarters.


A quick stop at McDonalds for lunch...and we headed back! A fun day to be tourists!


Day 7...Mom's Birthday!! The kids called and sang to her.


Sister Okimura (housekeeper, letter translater, and friend).


We had lunch with the office, and a new couple who arrived today.


The HUGE birthday card from the office...these missionaries are so good to mom!


Then mom and I headed to another mall...this one in the heart of downtown, and very 'high end'. This is the car being parked for us...crazy!


We were so proud of ourselves...


Yay American food...Hard Rock for mom's birthday dinner!

And a cheesecake to celebrate (doesn't taste the same)!

A great birthday celebration!


Day 8... myself with the AP's.

Mom and I went back to the mall...she hasn't changed, can shop all day!

Stayed in for dinner...made us some steak and potatoe's

Day 9...this is the spot that all the new missionaries get their pictures taken, so I thought I should get a picture there too.

Of course mom had her 'tag' on upsidedown. The Elders said she does this at least twice a week...and one time she took dad's tag by accident to a zone conference. There were 2 President Margetts' at that conference.

The 'golden pigeon'...this landmark was the only way mom and dad could find their way around the city when they first got here. The city is crazy...just like New York/San Fran, people walking, riding bikes, and motorcycles day and night. I was lost most of the time!

We took the subway, headed for some shopping. It was the cleanest subway I've ever been on...all of Japan is SO clean!

Miles and miles of shopping underground...with more malls and stores upstairs.

Ate lunch at the noodle shop we ate at the day I arrived...it was my favorite!

One last chat with Caiser via our ACN phone.

Day 10...time to go home. So sad to leave! We all cried...but such a different sad this time. It was such a wonderful visit, and I knew I would be back.

Awesome airplane food...so sick!

So excited for my 20 hour journey home!

Thanks babe for making this trip possible...for being 'father of the year', and for being so wonderful!

Thanks mom and dad...for EVERYTHING!

You have always been my hero's and such wonderful examples. After sharing these few days with you in Japan...I now look up to you even more. You are amazing! Thanks for giving me a glimpse of what a mission is. Thanks for the site seeing, the shopping, the non-stop laughing, the sitting on the couch and talking, and for showing me Japan! Thank you for being who you are and for serving this mission...and thanks for being MY parents!

9 comments:

Emma said...

Wow what a great time you must have had. your parent's look so happy!!!!

I DON'T blame you for not want to take a turn on the squater! yucky!!!

Andrea Almond said...

What a great memory you will always have, Looks like you guys the best time!!!! I love your parents. That was super nice of Caiser, I'm sure you will be making it up to him for a LONG time.

DJ and Gin Family said...

How exciting!!
I figured you must have been out of town when I saw Jack being chased in his underwear by Ellie on her scooter, all while Paige just stood there laughing.... totally kidding.
I like that guy wearing the face mask on the subway. Made me laugh. Now you know what to expect when you and your hubby serve your mission.

Margetts Fam said...

sooooooo fun!!!! What an amazing experience! I am so happy you could go and I guess I love your parents too....they are the best!

Ambur said...

Looks like you had a great time. You are so talented in many ways. But I cant believe what a Great Bloger you are. I loved reading and looking at all the stuff you did. Your amazing. Let go out this weekend.

Richelle said...

What a GREAT trip! Glad you had such a wonderful time...Japan looks AMAZING! Maybe one day I'll get on a plane and go there!?! Actually-- probably not! Much too much flying for my liking! Guess I'll have to enjoy it through you =))

wendy said...

Totally awesome. HOW FUN!!! coolest experience ever eh. I loved all those photos.
nice to see your mom still drinking Dr. Pepper (tee,hee)
and I could never be a mission presidents wife.......ah, for some obvious reasons.
BUT I WOULD DIE IF I HAD TO WEAR A FREAKING DRESS 24/7.

But that being said, I love your mom and dad. They have always been special friends of mine. They remain "down to earth" inspite of the huge mantle and responsibility they carry right now to further the Lords work.
love them

and I bet hubby was glad to get you back home eh

Kara said...

Holy crap that was one long post~! I'm so excited that you got to go!! What a fun memory for you to always have. Plus it's so fun to hear things from a different a person who has went there and came back! Glad you could go and can't wait for my turn!

Paul and Stacey said...

I loved the pictures and it looked like so much fun! Glad that you were able to visit!